Wednesday 29 June 2016

Bleeding INR check

Since leaving hospital I had been having to go to hospital once or twice every week for an INR check.  I have never had a  problem with injections or needles so I was never bothered by this.  It never took very long and was always a quick and efficient process. Sit down, small needle prick to a finger, drop of blood on the reader, and a bit of cotton wool taped on my finger. Quick and painless.

However, once I'd had a couple of readings within range, the hospital discharged me to my GP surgery for this pleasure.

The process here is completely different, quite bizarre, and to be completely honest, bloody painful!!

Here I sat down and had a couple of paper towels thrown down on the floor at my feet. Next my finger was stabbed with what felt like a knitting needle, one of those really thick ones, and I was instructed to hold my finger down over the paper towels.  Once 2 or 3 drops of blood had dropped and splattered on the towels, the nurse then caught a drop of blood on the reader, instructing me to return thavingding on the paper towels until she was sure the reader was working. Once satisfied she then gave me a bit of cotton wool to hold on my finger, which was already bruising..... 

Whilst watching my finger turn blue I distracted myself by working out if she was just in a bad mood, but no. She was going on holiday and seemed very cheerful and happy.

Typically I smiled and thanked her as I left, wondering, even as the words were coming out of my mouth, what the hell I was actually thanking her for.

Thankfully, partly due to her being on holiday, I was given a 2 week reprieve. Good job too as it took almost a week for my finger to recover from the abuse and trauma!!

Unfortunately today is the day I have to go back.  I'm not looking forward to it and I'm having a dilemma as to whether to say something or not. I don't want to upset her and risk even more pain but on the other have if I make some might light-hearted comment with a smile, maybe she'll be more gentle with me!!

I just hope that being back of holiday hasn't put her in a bad mood 😕

No comments:

Post a Comment